Friday, January 6, 2012

San Diego Gay and Lesbian News Interviews Ranae Holland


Ranae next to statue of Big Ike (Photo: Neo Edwards)

“My father was fascinated with the phenomenon and our special quality time together was spent watching Bigfoot movies and exploring together.” -- Ranae Holland

Its been a Ranae Holland kind of week. On January 6th Ranae was exclusively interviewed by San Diego Gay and Lesbian News. This is a great article expanding on her father's interest in Bigfoot. It seems Bigfoot provided special opportunities to connect with each other.

SILVER SPRING, Md. – For years, Americans have been intrigued with the possibility that half-ape, half-human creatures live in the vast uninhabited areas of our continent. The “Bigfoot” phenomenon has been the subject of or mentioned in numerous books and movies as well as throughout pop culture for generations.
While there is no scientific evidence to prove … or disprove … the existence of the Sasquatch, the search for such creatures goes on. Animal Planet has given its viewers the opportunity to watch a team of scientists on their quest in “Finding Bigfoot,” which just began its second season on air.
San Diego Gay & Lesbian News obtained an exclusive interview with Ranae Holland, who is one of four cast members, and is known as the skeptic of the group.
Holland, who is an out lesbian, said that her relationship with “Bigfoot” dates to her childhood.
“Growing up in South Dakota in the 1970s, I remember the ‘Bigfoot’ craze that existed at that time,” she said. “My father was fascinated with the phenomenon and our special quality time together was spent watching Bigfoot movies and exploring together.”
Holland said that later on, she became a biologist and when her father passed away in 2003, she stumbled across some of his “Bigfoot” paraphernalia.
“I had flashbacks to the special times I spent with my father and I really wanted to find Bigfoot,” Holland said.
Holland became involved with The Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO), which is said to be the only scientific research organization exploring the sasquatch mystery.
“I didn’t believe in Bigfoot, but I had those memories with my dad and I wanted to honor that,” said Holland, who was introduced to Animal Planet’s show through BFRO.
When asked why she thinks people have been so fascinated with the Bigfoot phenomenon over the years, Holland believes that it has to do with the human psyche.
“People are curious about the unknown, making the study of this become larger than life,” she said. “Besides, the scientific method is rooted in questioning the status quo.”
How she arrived at her beliefs about Sasquatch
While Holland remains a non-believer … or at least skeptical, she recounted some interesting experiences which caused her to question her own beliefs in the existence of Sasquatch.
“We were in a very remote area of the Olympic Peninsula of Washington, sent in to areas that no human being would have any good reason to go to,” Holland recalled. “After finding about 30 samples, I saw a one-time flash of black fur. I was leading [the group] and when I came around the ridge line, I looked over my shoulder to make sure the team was OK, and along the opposite side of the river there was an opening in the canopy cover where I saw a flash of black fur pop through.
“Now, this just means that I saw a black animal running by,” said the skeptical Holland, who remains open-minded about the possibility of finding a Sasquatch.
Speaking out in favor of tolerance
“People need to be able to respectfully disagree about the concept and remember that it’s all about tolerance,” she said.
On the subject of tolerance, Holland said that she has not encountered much intolerance within the scientific community, recognizing that it does exist.
“I don’t find it necessary to discuss [being a lesbian] as I have matured and developed a competent sense of self,” said Holland, who noted that she tries not to concern herself with societal norms.
She did say, however, that people should be able to live openly and freely and not have to hide who they are. “We live in a society that still has an intolerant community and dragging people into the closet is reprehensible. LGBTQ rights are basic, civil rights,” she said.
Holland said she believes that women have more of an uphill battle within the scientific community, and that more people from marginalized communities need to come forward within the field.
“This shouldn’t even have to be a question, but because we are still fighting for these basic civil rights and acceptance, people need to come forward,” Holland said.
She offered advice for those who wish to enter into the field of biology or science, especially those in the LGBTQ or other marginalized communities:
“First and foremost know yourself, love yourself, and follow your passions. If your passion is conservation, the environment, physical sciences, or whatever it may be, find that person that you love and believe in and make them your mentor,” Holland suggested. “If you are LGBTQ, find a professional mentor, but also find a personal mentor. I recognize that I was surrounded by a community where I didn’t have to hide and this is recognition of the advocates that came before me.”
Bigfoot legend remains huge in pop culture
Although Holland’s interest in the Bigfoot craze stemmed for her father’s fascination with it in the 1970s, she thinks people are just as curious today as they were in 1977, when movies like “Sasquatch, The Legend of Bigfoot” were produced.
“[Pop culture] things come and go in waves. I think for myself, at the age that I was 30 years after my first introduction, it came full circle,” she said. “With the new technology that exists today people are still asking ‘why haven’t we found one yet?’”
Holland thinks that “Bigfoot” is an opportunity to reach out to children who are at the age where anything seems possible.
“All of my best memories from childhood are remembering seeing my dad’s eye get so big when he talked to me about all the things that were possible,” Holland said. “When our team goes to town hall meetings when we are out on the road, what keeps me going is seeing all of the fathers (and mothers) that come to the meetings with their young kids, wide-eyed, making that connection together. I get choked up sometimes seeing that.”
The details
“Finding Bigfoot” airs at 10 pm Sundays on Animal Planet. For more information, click HERE. Follow Ranae on Twitter at @SkeptiScientist.
SRC: http://sdgln.com/news/2012/01/05/lesbian-biologist-cult-hit-finding-bigfoot-spills-the-beans%20

44 comments:

  1. Great article. While I watch the show (Finding Bigfoot), I must (sadly) say that the BFRO in general and Matt Moneymaker in particular have lost much of their credibility. Moneymaker's outrageous & oft times comically ridiculous claims and behavior firmly establishes his membership in a very select group of Sasquatch chasing clowns (Tom Biscardi, Ivan Marx, et.al.) and if the BFRO is not to be thought of as the BSRO, Moneymaker has to be either muzzled or ditched. He is doing for Sasquatch research what Rosie Ruiz did for the Boston Marathon.
    BTAIM, I commend Ranae for standing firm on her convictions. Hang in there Ms. Holland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bigfoot rocks and your just jealous that you dont have the nuts to grill bacon,
      Let out calls and urinate on trees in the middle of bumfuck nowhere at all hours of the night in search of the worlds most elusive and beautiful creature..
      Rock on bfro forever!

      Delete
  2. Really enjoy the show on Animal Planet. Very excited and happy to hear that you will be doing another season. I have more confidence in Moneymaker than the person in the previous comment. It's not easy to hunt these very elusive and highly socialized creatures. Hoping that one day soon the team will get lucky and get some great evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ranae i think your cool someones gotta keep the others in line jeez if i hear "its a squatch" from matt one more time cuz he heard a twig fall or saw a dead deer, bird chirp or saw his own foot print im gonna give up on squatch and be a non believer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee's being lesbian is gross and I cringe when I watch the sho. I love the show but whenever I see this Dyke it kind of morally makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Holland scientific analyse is you should be concerned about, her personnel life none of your business. I could care less about. I support the right for a person to have their own sexuality. LGTQ Me, I'm straight and married. Now back to the show --- I don't think anybody is going to completely satisfied about Sasquatch until we have a corpse. In the wild. animal remains get eaten and widely scattered. So no corpse, so we're stuck.

      Delete
    2. She reminds me of Wheres Waldo!!!!

      Delete
    3. Anonymous who said Ranae's "being lesbian is gross"....get a life. If you don't like her, don't watch the show. She is who she is and she doesn't need your permission or judgment. Live and let live. Or change the channel. Geez.

      Delete
    4. Your ignorance makes me sick.

      Delete
    5. Why do you care about homosexuality??
      There are plenty of legitimate things to be "morally sick" about, including sexually abusing children, and raping women.

      Delete
    6. ^^^^
      Isn't that what gays do?

      Delete
  5. well put mrs.manycats.. seriously, who gives a shit bout her sexuality?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dont care what her preferences are i cant stand her she looks just like wheres waldo and is a lousy actress
    her comments are insincere and unconvincing i could come up with better arguments and i believe in bigfoot and i believe she does too just by things she says and does its all bullshit anyway. i love the show but it is scripted. i mean you dont see actually how many people are out there the whole crew is about 16 people if i remember correctly you have too do that its tv. Not the real world. Like bringing an army. the only way is Goodall way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a "lousy actress"? She's a scientist. In fact the only one in the group. You can't stand how she looks, but you can look at Bobo? I can tell the guys give her a hard time but they respect her. She is the credibility of the show. She's not going to say "YES, we found Bigfoot now we can all go home." which at times seems the way the rest of the group acts.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is super fine that ranae might be gay..so what it is what is inside that matters..she is a very nice and truly enjoys the fans..

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's lesbian? Darn it... she turns me on... i'm a straight man...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ranae's being a lesbian is gross? Why should it even concern you unless you're sharing a bed with her? You say it makes you "morally sick," but I wonder why you're busy thinking about it in the first place. I think you were morally sick long before finding out this woman is gay. Worry about yourself and grow the hell up.

    And in case you want to disregard my opinion as coming from one of "them," I am a conservative, straight, Christian man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brent S,I'm also a Christian and I do know that God does love her(Then again,He loves all sinners and since everyone has sinned,that means He loves EVERYBODY).

      Delete
  11. She's one of the more level headed members of the team. I like Bobo and he's seems like a cool dude to hand with, but its seems like everything equates to being a sasquatch with him. Maybe it's the editing. Matt seems high on himself. Cliff is well educated on the subject, with experience and seems to be well respected in the field.

    In the end, Cliff and Ranae are my favorites simply because of their tendency to be fair and balanced and not quick to make an assumption on the spur of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how people jump right on the "gay band wagon" saying it's ok, and there's nothing wrong.
    Don't people know that the bible says to standup for what it says. instead the people that do stand up for gods word get verbally beat down.
    No matter what your sexual orientation is, YOU are responsiable for what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well and YOU are also responsible for YOUR behavior, and how you react towards others. In other words, crack open your Bible again (I have) and judge not lest ye be judged. In other words, don't do God's job for Him. He's got it in hand. Look to your own sins, stop worrying about others. (It's in there, really look)

      Delete
  14. I don't like Ranae at all. When I watch the show all she does is be condescending and obnoxious. After talking to 2 interviewees, she even likened a bigfoot to a moose! Give me a break. I wish they'd get rid of her. Matt is irritating as well and my faves are Bobo and Cliff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the show here in Aus.It's about time that the BFRO has had the balls(parden the punt Ranae..your great)to go hunting for these elusive creatures and air there beliefs.I'm wrapt that they have come to Aus for an episode looking forward to that.Denisbro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guys,I,ve been listening to Muski Allen interview on the other sight.If this is legit, this will bigger than Ben Hur, Ha...Denisbro

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  17. I met Ranae last month along with the entire cast of "Finding Bigfoot". She is a charming young woman. She spent a lot of time discussing Bigfoot with us and was most informative. I enjoyed talking to her and admired how much time she spent with each person answering questions and listening to their stories. She is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you get she really cares, but she also wants to get the facts straight. You can tell she's sad when they find a bit of video or a report has been faked. She gets, it needs to be proven, and fakery just makes the entire Bigfoot hunt look bad. Sadly, the show seems to have inspired a lot of faking, but I trust her to not fall for it...she's a strong woman to have to deal with those three guys! I like how they respect her.

      Delete
  18. Anonymous who said "I dont like Ranae at all" is full of crap. And also who cares if she is lesbian? She is beautiful and still my favorite cast member on the show! Also Anonymous who met her, LUCKY!!!! I sooo want to meet her and get to know her!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ranae is the paid skeptic. I've heard from a reliable source that she has seen a bigfoot and believes. She's acting and doing a terrible job. After almost every witness she says, "I'm having a really hard time believing...". Well I'm having a really hard time believing you Ranae. It has nothing to do with your sexuality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if she really believed, she would say. She is doing this because of her dad. To her, it would not be honoring him to lie about seeing a Bigfoot. Also she probably gets SEEING a Bigfoot is not the same as PROVING there is a Bigfoot. Two totally different things. She is looking at the big picture. I know as a woman working with my local Bigfoot group it's tough at times. All males, except myself. Sometimes the wives get mad too when I go camping overnight with the guys (hello, it's smelly, dirty and I have my own tent!). She's an inspiration for women to break into this mostly male field.

      Delete
  20. Ranae - you rock! Love you the most! You and Bobo make a great team and are hilarious together! I like all the cast members. I think they all bring a certain something to the show that balances it well. I definitely believe in BF - up in Northern MN - Little Birch Lake, we have a cabin. I remember hearing the wood knocks, the roars, the late night campfire situations of "what was that??". Our cabin is in the middle of 10 acres of woods. Its a great place! On a lake, lots of deer, never seen a bear in 25 yrs - but believe I have heard BF and thinking back, I get chills. So, from me to you, Ranae, keep on a rocking if that Bigfoot comes a knockin' !!! haha :-) Have fun with it and enjoy your success! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ranae is awesome! I thought this site was about Bigfoot not sexuality or the bible. You want to preach the bible on a site about finding Bigfoot?!?!?! I think you may have bigger issues than Ranae's sexuality which by the way is none of anyone's damn business but Ranae's! Talk about bigfoot people and leave Ranae's personal life alone!! Ranae is an inspiration, a scientist, and a role model for people to follow their dreams. She is obviously more educated than about 90% of the idiots leaving comments on here! Search on my squatching friend! I can't wait until you discover Bigfoot and rewrite history Ranae!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the show , love the cast. i dont beieve in bigfoot, but the show is entertaining....

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that some of the comments that Moneymaker makes on the show are a joke. He is just that a moneymaker. The other cast members are somewhat tolerable but none of them are experts in the field. It's a reality show so if you can stomach it keep watching. Ranae can sleep with anyone she wants to, it's her business and no one should judge her for it. She is the only one on the show with half of a brain.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like Ms. Ranae just fine. Her scientific based skepticism makes the show that much more interesting. I don't have a problem with her being a lesbian at all. My only question is why did that subject even have to be broached here? This article is about Ms. Holland and how she became interested in Big Foot research. It makes no sense to me that her sexual preference was even discussed. Boy, is this society a confused bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh yea fucking knew that shit from when the show started yea you all can suck it boom!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The negative comments here make me wish I lived on another planet. Gay, straight or diagonal -- what does it have to do with Bigfoot/Sasquatch and who cares? Has Matt, Bobo, Cliff or Ranae ever mentioned or brought up anyone's sexuality on the show? Nope. Much ado about nothing...

    Ranae & Cliff are the level-headed, "let's do this right", common-sense "sanity-safety-net" of the show and I personally think they are *vital* to the ongoing success of the series. Matt and Bobo are the "color" commentary and I personally think they are also *vital* to the ongoing success of the series. They are a great team and it would be a disaster if they were broken up. I wish them each all the best and hope they continue the great job they are doing with the series.

    ps. Isn't it ironic that the personality who happens to be gay is responsible for keeping the others straight (as in, not jumping to conclusions).

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am a Christian. And i ove this show but know that i know she is gay... it s a struggle to see how immoral our country and world is.... all of you who say Christianity is not true or we hate ppl go to truelife.org it will (hopefully!) Change you views. Thx and God bless ya!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why does it even matter if a person is gay do you tell people that your not? Or when I walk up to introduce myself do I say HI I'm not gay how are you. I think it's time for all you bible thumpers to love and let live and stop trying to SAVE everyone. Worry about yourself,stop bullying women in front of abortion clinics and keep your bible beliefs to yourself. I love how we have the Freedom of religion in America but we are judged as Christians and all our laws are based on Christian beliefs. I for one think the world would be better off without religion, think of how far we would be if religion hadn't been created to control the masses. There is no evidence that God exists NONE and the bible is no more factual then any story book. I'm sorry if your offended and I'm sure you think I'll be going to Hell oh well that's MY business and yours is yours so keep outta mine and I'll keep outta yours.

      Delete
    2. I am in love with Ranae. Oh yes

      Delete
  28. Calling Ranea names cause she is a lesbian come on Im guessing your a man with a very small package and if your going to quote the bible it says alot of things though shalt not eat shrimp / shellfish nor have tattoos nor wear mixed fabric clothes , nor get a divorce nor eat a pig and on and on so leave her alone an focus on all your faults though shalt not judge others , Theres another bible quote ..Also to say she is a bad actress she is not an actress Einstein ,

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep the language clean, keep in mind we have younger fans and we want to make this the best bigfoot website for bigfoot news and bigfoot research.

Please read our terms of use policy.